Tree Planting Program
Conservation Halton is dedicated to creating a healthy, sustainable natural environment. Tree planting provides a variety of environmental benefits such as protecting water quality and quantity, reducing soil erosion, cleaning our air and providing wildlife habitat. Each year, the Forestry department plants 80-100,000 trees and shrubs throughout our watershed with the goal of reaching an overall forest cover of 30%.
Conservation Halton is looking for landowners interested in planting trees on their properties that have a minimum of 2.5 acres (1 hectare) of open land suitable for tree planting. There is currently funding available from Forests Ontario that covers up to 90% of the costs of large scale tree planting. Take a look at Forests Ontario’s website to learn more about why this program is so valuable, and how it’s helping Ontarian’s combat climate change.
Conservation Halton Forestry staff will conduct a free site visit to discuss your project objectives and create a planting plan that is well suited to your property. We will help you access, and apply to the appropriate funding programs to reduce the cost of tree planting. Installation and follow up monitoring of the project at year 1, 2 and 5 is included.
- Minimum 2.5 acres of open/plant-able land
- Willing to sign 15 year agreement stating you will not cut, harvest, or otherwise remove the trees from the planted area for a minimum of 15 years after planting
- Willing to protect the trees from livestock, wildlife and machinery damage
- Able to cover the remaining costs of the tree planting after subsidies
- If you think your property qualifies for this program fill out our tree planting application and our forestry staff will contact you with more information about tree planting
Looking to purchase trees?
Looking for native locally sourced tree seedlings? Conservation Halton offers over the counter sales of tree seedlings every spring. Trees are available in late April to May (depending on seasonal weather conditions.) Send your tree requests to firstname.lastname@example.org and forestry staff will be in touch to confirm your order request and species availability.
- A minimum order of 100 trees is required (50 per species)
- A 50% non-refundable deposit is required at time of order.