Create A Healthy Yard
Want to upgrade your yard, but don’t know where to start? Conservation Halton hosts Homeowner Workshops each year. Our staff experts will lead you through all the steps to creating a gardening plan which is low cost, environmentally friendly and enhances the beauty of your garden and curb appeal.
2019 Homeowner Workshop Series
Registration is currently open using the button below. There is a small fee for the workshops to help cover the costs; the full series of three workshops is $20 (tax included), while each workshop separately is $8 (tax included):
Milton Series hosted at Town Hall; Milton Room (150 Mary St, Milton, ON L9T 6Z5)
• Wednesday, May 1 – 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm – Getting Started! Learning to Go with the Flow
• Wednesday, May 8 – 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm – Working with Nature: Selecting the “Right” Plants
• Wednesday, May 15 – 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm – Rain Gardens and Low Impact Landscaping
Halton Hills Series hosted at the Halton Hills Cultural Centre and Library; Studio Room (9 Church St. Georgetown, ON L7G 2A3)
• Tuesday, May 7 – 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm – Getting Started! Learning to Go with the Flow
• Tuesday, May 14 – 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm – Working with Nature: Selecting the “Right” Plants
• Tuesday, May 21 – 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm – Rain Gardens and Low Impact Landscaping
For questions about these workshops please call 905-336-1158 ext. 2324.
Workshop Topics and Descriptions
- Getting Started! Learning to Go With the Flow - Find out how storm water is managed in your community and how it connects to you and your home at our introductory homeowner workshop. We will discuss the newest trends in residential landscaping, and how you can use them to increase curb appeal, save money, and improve the health of our local watershed.
- Working with Nature: Selecting the “Right” Plants - Want a diverse garden with more birds and wildlife but less upkeep, watering and mowing? Naturalizing your yard by using native species, organic fertilizers, or a backyard pond may be the perfect solution for you. You will leave this workshop with the inspiration and know how to make your garden a low-maintenance oasis.
- Rain Gardens and Low-Impact Landscaping - At this workshop you will discover how adding a rain barrel or rain garden can be a simple, inexpensive way to direct storm water away from your home towards your plants, garden, or lawn. Manage storm water on your property using low-impact techniques that are sure to make your yard the envy of the neighbourhood.