Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the Adopt a Raptor program?
The Adopt a Raptor Program is an opportunity for park visitors, raptor presentation attendees and offsite participants to support the raptors at the Douglas Cockburn Raptor Centre by making a charitable donation through the Conservation Halton Foundation.
2. Who is the Conservation Halton Foundation?
The Conservation Halton Foundation is a registered charitable organization. The Foundation has been raising funds for conservation projects for 40 years. The Foundation raised funds to build the Raptor Centre and the Discovery Centre, and continues to raise funds for projects at Mountsberg and throughout the watershed.
3. How much should I give?
How much you donate is up to you. Every gift to the Adopt a Raptor program will help our raptors and protect their future.
4. Does my donation go directly to the bird that I ‘adopt’?
No, the funds are pooled and used for projects that benefit raptors at the park and in our community.
5. Where does the money go?
Donations to our Adopt a Raptor program are pooled together and used for the highest priority projects.
Your donation is used to pay for
• food, veterinary care, and training to keep our birds healthy
• new equipment and facilities at the Raptor Centre, and,
• the purchase of important habitat areas.
6. How much does it cost to care for a bird?
On average it costs about $1,800 per year to care for each bird at the raptor centre. Costs vary from bird to bird, based on their size and the amount of food they eat, and any special treatment or training programs that they need to help them recover from injuries or illnesses.
7. Does it cost more to take care of a big raptor than a small one?
Yes. Generally it costs more to care for a large bird, but costs vary a lot if a bird needs special treatment or training to help them recover from injuries or illnesses.
8. Will I receive a tax receipt?
Yes. You’ll receive a tax receipt from the Conservation Halton Foundation. If
you’re entitled to get a Family Pass, the value of the annual pass will be deducted from your tax receipt. The Foundation has to do this to comply with federal charity laws.
9. What can I do with my annual pass?
Your annual pass allows you to enjoy our seven parks for a year. Our parks include Mountsberg, Crawford Lake, Mount Nemo, Hilton Falls, Rattlesnake Point, Kelso and Glen Eden. Further information at www.conservationhalton.ca
10. Who can I talk to if I have more questions about the Conservation Halton Foundation?
We have full time Foundation staff to raise funds and help manage the Foundation. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the Foundation at (905) 336-1158 extension 2256 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.