Manager, People & Wellness
Manager, People & Wellness
Permanent, Full time
Conservation Halton was created to protect, restore and manage the natural resources in our watershed but we have grown to become so much more. Today, our purpose is to protect our communities and conserve our natural environment through planning, education and recreation and to support our partners in the creation of sustainable communities within our watershed. We also have a new strategic plan, Metamorphosis, which will empower us to embrace more innovative ideas and creative solutions, enable us to communicate and collaborate more effectively, create the capacity for us to form new partnerships within the community and position us to become leaders in conservation.
Want to be part of the transformation? We are looking to build our team with the kind of inspired, ambitious people that aren’t satisfied with the status quo, that see the opportunity in every challenge, that are able to manage a project from start to finish, are driven by real, measurable results and thrive in a busy work environment. If you are looking to join an environmentally focused, socially conscious, community organization, then we are looking for you!
Reporting to the Associate Director, People, Culture & Creative, the successful candidate will be a broadly skilled HR professional looking for an exciting, diverse opportunity.
With 2 direct reports, supporting 140 full time roles and up to 600 seasonal staff members the Manager, People & Wellness delivers a broad range of strategic and operational HR functions in order to develop and maintain an employee-oriented culture that emphasizes engagement, continuous improvement, high performance and wellness.
Operating at both strategic and operational levels, the successful incumbent will identify HR priorities, recommend solutions that support business objectives and develop and implement HR initiatives. Main responsibilities will include providing HR leadership and support to a diverse group of business partners that include; corporate & strategic initiatives, parks and recreation, science and partnerships, engineering, planning & regulations and greenspace revitalization & forestry. Acting as a resource and subject matter expert, the Manager People & Wellness provides thoughtful counsel to leaders in the areas of organizational development, performance management, compensation and benefits, rewards & recognition and employee relations. They will provides expert advice and support to department leaders and employees, on a wide spectrum of people management issues and related employment legislation.
- Works with the Health and Safety Specialist to develop and implement workplace wellness programs to support employee health and wellbeing
- Support the alignment of the wellness function with safety and disability management
- Performs human resources planning in alignment with the strategic plan, and in conjunction with business plans
- Coaches people leaders to effectively apply HR policies and procedures, ensuring compliance and understanding
- Supports full-cycle recruitment activities
- Tracks, analyzes and reports on various HR metrics, identifies trends and actions appropriately
- Ensures the compliance of all HR processes and activities and assumes a lead role on change initiatives and best practices applications
- Leads AODA compliance initiatives and best practices
- Provides oversight to the corporate reception function
Need to Have
The preferred candidate will have a college diploma or university degree in Human Resources Management coupled with the following skills, experience, and abilities:
- Post-secondary education in Human Resources, Business Administration or a related discipline.
- Minimum 5 years of progressive HR experience, primarily in a Generalist role
- CHRL designation or equivalent
- Strong people management and leadership skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent judgment, analytical and problem-solving skills in establishing strategies and resolving HR matters
- Highly skilled in workplace conflict and resolution strategies
- Self-motivated, flexible and adaptable
- Excellent communication skills (written & verbal) coupled with strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and to deal with issues in a sensitive, efficient and business-like manner
- Able to travel to a site not serviced by public transit, as working from various locations will be required
- Ability to travel between the Parks in our watershed
- Flexibility to work outside of regular business hours may be required on occasion
- Starting at $68,460 based on a 35 hour work week
- You will join the organization at one of the most exciting times in our 60 year history
- You will have the opportunity to work with a solutions-focused team, and to develop your skills
- You will work for an organization that values diversity, equity and inclusion
- You will work for an organization that places tremendous value on the professional and personal development of its employees
At Conservation Halton, we offer a robust total rewards package, including:
- competitive salary and annual opportunities for increases
- comprehensive benefits package and EFAP program
- participation in the OMERS defined benefit pension plan, with generous employer-matching
- free access to all Conservation Ontario parks
- season passes and lift tickets for the Glen Eden ski and snowboard area
- generous discounts on Conservation Halton services, food and merchandise
The role will be part of a strong, change-ready team who are looking forward to implementing our strategic plan.
Our Core Values
Be Respectful: Respect one another, celebrate diversity, and embrace new ideas.
Be Adaptable: Change is constant. Channel your passion, be innovative, and focus on results.
Be Collaborative: Share your knowledge, listen to understand, and always communicate clearly.
Be Sustainable: In everything you do, think conservation.
Be Accountable: Uphold your integrity, demonstrate measurable progress, and strive for excellence.
Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 21, 2017 at 11:59pm
You application should include:
A one page cover letter, and your resume in one pdf document
Reference your name and the position title in the subject line
In the body of your email, please indicate where you heard about this opportunity
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Conservation Halton is an equal opportunity employer in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Conservation Halton will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. Personal information provided is collected under the authority of The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.