The Conservation Halton Awards recognize environmental heroes in our watershed who have worked hard to protect, preserve, or enhance our environment.
2015 Conservation Halton Awards
The 2015 Conservation Halton Awards took place on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at the Milton Centre for the Arts.
Congratulations to our Conservation Heroes:
Every person, group, or school, in the various awards categories (except for the Parks Volunteer Award and Ralph Sherwood Honour Roll) are nominated from the community. The 2015 award recipients are as follows:
- Citizen: Bethlehem Sahlu
- Citizen (Youth): Simone Mantel, Aldershot District High School
- Community: Toronto Bruce Trail Club
- Education (Group or School): Trailhead – Bronte Creek Project
- Education (Individual): Nick Bertrand and Kerry Sagar, Halton District School Board
- Media / Blogger: Tourism Burlington
- Parks Volunteer: Kirsten Phillip, Mountsberg Raptor Centre and Chuck Sweet, Kelso / Glen Eden
- Stewardship: Andrew and Marites Lee, Milton, and Field and Stream Rescue Team
- Ralph Sherwood Honour Roll: Keith Bird, Oakville
Nominations for the 2016 Conservation Halton Awards will open shortly.
About the Conservation Halton Awards
Every year, Conservation Halton recognizes people and organizations who have made significant contributions to conservation in the Halton watershed. Nominees have included such groups as teacher associations and federations, scout and guide organizations, naturalist clubs, corporations, government agencies and private landowners.
The award categories are listed below.
- Citizen Award - An individual who has made a significant effort to improve the natural environment in the Halton Watershed
- Citizen (Youth) Award – Presented to a youth who has made a significant effort to improve the natural environment in the Halton Watershed.
- Community Award - An organization institution or business that has undertaken a significant conservation action that exemplifies wise conservation.
- Corporate Award - A corporation or municipality that demonstrates leadership in protecting and enhancing the natural environment.
- Education (Group or School) Award - Presented to a group or school that has promoted a better understanding and appreciation of conservation.
- Education (Individual) Award - Presented to a person who has promoted a better understanding and appreciation of conservation.
- Media/Blogger Award - Presented to a member of the print, radio, television, or online media including website, social media campaigns and blogs that raises awareness of environmental issues, challenges and solutions in the watershed.
- Parks Volunteer Award - Presented to recognize the valuable, and selfless contributions of volunteers in our park. Nominations for this award are from Conservation Halton staff only.
- Stewardship Award - Landowner who demonstrates stewardship excellence in protecting the natural environment of their property.
- Ralph Sherwood Honour Roll - Presented to past and current directors of Conservation Halton and its volunteer Foundation for exemplary effort in protecting and enhancing the natural environment. Nominations for this award come from Conservation Halton board members and staff.
In 2010, the parks volunteer category was added and in 2012 the media/blogger category was awarded. The awards program was initiated by Conservation Halton in 1982.